Thursday, November 28, 2013

Switching from iPhone to Android? Switch off iMessage

Google’s executive chairman, Eric Schmidt, wrote a much derided 900-word guide to switching from iPhone to Android the other day. I should have read it more closely, because in there – aside from the slightly eccentric suggestion that you email your photos from one phone to the other – is a very useful nugget of information about iMessage.
I made the switch from the iPhone 4s to an HTC One at the weekend, and while the transition has been remarkably smoothly, one thing I didn’t notice until I switched my iPhone back on last night was that I’d been missing out on text messages, because I neglected to switch off iMessage on my old handset.
iMessage, for those who are unaware, is Apple’s SMS alternative, which redirects text/photo messages sent between iPhone users over the internet, rather than via the regular SMS channels. Consequently, messages from other iPhone users don’t arrive on your Android handset – even if they’re replying to an SMS message you’ve sent them.

Read more...

No comments:

Post a Comment